discovery+ True Crime Highlights – Weeks of January 18 and January 25
Investigation Discovery’s “Still a Mystery,” “The Clown and the Candyman,” “The Murder Tapes” and “American Monster” are among the latest to move originals to discovery+.
[via press release from Investigation Discovery]
discovery+ TRUE CRIME HIGHLIGHTS
Weeks of January 18 and January 25
All dates are subject to change
discovery+, the newly launched global streaming service, brings together all of Discovery’s brands and non-fiction content in one place to offer fans unlimited access to the largest collection of real-life entertainment in the world. Featuring a wide range of exclusive series across popular genres, discovery+ offers passion verticals for genre fans, from Animals to Paranormal, Food and Home. In the True Crime category alone, discovery+ contains an unprecedented 5,500 hours of the best mystery and suspense, boasting the largest library of true crime of any streaming service.
discovery+ TRUE CRIME PREMIERES
ONISION: IN REAL LIFE
Shocking Finale Begins Streaming on Monday, January 18
Greg Jackson, known to the world as “Onision,” discovered YouTube when the platform was still burgeoning in the digital world. And as the power of YouTube grew, the character “Onision” grew with it. Jackson amassed millions of subscribers across multiple channels, luring in viewers with his off-kilter, opinionated and dark humor. But while his channels were twisted, his real life might be more sinister. In this cutting-edge investigative series, discovery+ explores the mystery, controversy and alleged criminality surrounding Greg Jackson, bringing forward new research and revelations about the man that the YouTube community loves to hate.
· Unmonitored, Ungovernable, and Chaotic Begins Streaming on Monday, January 18 Exploring the depths of YouTube culture and the power of influence, Onision’s victims continue to speak out, prompting law enforcement to further their investigation. Facing a storm of controversy, those watching the story begin to ask, can Onision be held accountable for his actions? And what is YouTube’s role in this saga?
STILL A MYSTERY
13 Episode New Season Available to Stream Beginning Tuesday, January 19
Just because a case is closed doesn’t mean the truth has been revealed. Suicide or murder? Runaway or kidnapping? Accidental or premeditated? STILL A MYSTERY re-examines cases where unanswered questions remain. Through original interviews with law enforcement, family members and private investigators, news footage and social media, STILL A MYSTERY dissects the evidence and presents new theories in a quest to uncover the truth.
AMERICAN DETECTIVE WITH LT. JOE KENDA
New Episodes Available to Stream on Wednesdays
Lt. Joe Kenda, one of the toughest, most experienced homicide detectives in ID history, is back exclusively on discovery+ with an all-new series. Over the years, Kenda has heard about cases that defy logic and expose the depravity of human nature: investigations so confounding that the twists and turns feel more scripted in Hollywood than reality. In AMERICAN DETECTIVE, Kenda trades in his own case files to bring viewers astounding investigations from across the country, with each episode putting a different homicide detective at the forefront whose tireless efforts helped put a killer behind bars and bring justice for the victim. Kenda guides us through the nuances of each case and the dogged detective work featured in AMERICAN DETECTIVE, the riveting raconteur whose gruff voice and deadpan delivery keep us hanging on his every word.
· Tale of Two Knives Begins Streaming on Wednesday, January 20 The body of medical student Carmen Sanders is found pinned to her bedroom floor with a large kitchen knife. Suspicious immediately turn to her boyfriend, who placed a casual 911 call from the scene of the crime. But when her boyfriend’s alibi checks out, Detective Frank Dillard must employ his skills as an interrogator to unpack a series of dead ends and false leads, ultimately leading him to a serial killer.
· Goodbye Horses Begins Streaming on Wednesday, January 27 On Chincoteague Island off the coast of Virginia, young mother Tessa Van Hart is found murdered steps from a vacant summer home. Detective Danny Plott is brought on to solve the case. Plott traces Tessa’s last steps, and learns she was lured to her death by a mysterious phone call. He soon realizes that the killer has been hiding in plain sight in the insular year-round community of Chincoteague.
THE CLOWN AND THE CANDYMAN
Documentary Now Streaming
The 1970s saw a rise in serial killers unlike anything the United States had previously seen. Two of the killers operating during this time were John Wayne Gacy in Chicago and Dean Corll in Houston. Gacy and Corll were far more sinister than their outward facing personas, and their depraved actions resulted in the deaths of more than 60 young men and women and brought heartbreak to countless families, with some of their victims still unidentified to this day. The police believed the murders were the work of sole killers, but for the first time, the sordid secret revealing the network of pedophiles spanning the country is explored. This network included prominent members of American society with tentacles in some of our most trusted institutions. THE CLOWN AND THE CANDYMAN takes viewers down the rabbit hole to a murky world of predators in the ’70s.
CONCURRENT discovery+ AND ID PREMIERES
ON THE CASE WITH PAULA ZAHN
New Episode Stream on discovery+ on Sundays and Premiere on ID Sundays at 10/9c
ON THE CASE WITH PAULA ZAHN takes viewers on an exciting journey inside the most fascinating crime and mystery investigations. First person accounts, along with insight from experts are featured as each case reaches its dramatic conclusion.
· Gone in Less Than 3 Minutes Begins Streaming on Sunday, January 24, Premiere on ID at 10/9c A teenage lifeguard vanishes from a quiet community swimming hole less than three minutes after her mother dropped her off for work.
· A Storm of Rage Season Finale Begins Streaming on Sunday, January 31, Premiere on ID at 10/9c A beautiful young mother vanishes just hours before the deadliest hurricane in Texas history. The investigation forces her loved ones to weather a storm and then survive a tempest.
NEW EPISODES AND FULL SEASON CATCH-UPS
THE MURDER TAPES
Two New Episodes Plus a Full Season Catch-Up Available to Stream on January 13
Homicide investigations unfold through dramatic real footage in this groundbreaking series. Each episode of THE MURDER TAPES provides an up-close perspective of the case, incorporating body cam footage from the initial crime scene, surveillance video, and interrogation room recordings.
A TIME TO KILL
Season Catch-Up Available on January 15
The key to solving the toughest homicides lies somewhere in the final hours of a victim’s life. In A TIME TO KILL, determined investigators must piece together events during this critical window to reconstruct the timeline, unlock the motive, and ultimately close in on the killer.
Three New Episodes Plus a Full Season Catch-Up Available to Stream on January 17
If you looked into the eyes of a killer, would you know? In AMERICAN MONSTER, viewers find out. For the first time, we get closer than ever to some of America’s most shocking and surprising crimes. Filled with never-before-seen footage of these devils in disguise, from home movie shots of them playing with their kids to musical performances at high school, from the church cook-out to the wedding video, we interweave twisting, turning stories of astonishing crimes.